5.23.2013

Scotland Day One: Aberdeen & Stonehaven

Street in Aberdeen
 I’m in Scotland! I actually got here last evening after a very long journey from northern Norway. I was writing in my journal last night before I fell asleep (in my top bunk!) and thinking how crazy it was that earlier that morning I had been riding the rest of the way to Gardermoen airport in a taxi and in monsoon-type weather! Yes, about an hour from the airport, the train stopped and couldn’t continue due to problems with the track. Luckily my flight wasn’t for another 5 hours and the train guys helped everyone get taxis who needed to get to the airport. Once we got on the main road, I could see possibly why the train had to stop. The road was totally flooded! Water was gushing off the ledges on the left hand side and running straight into the road, just out of control! Water was getting really high and only one lane on each side could be open, as road crews tried to use their heavy machinery to redirect the water away from the highway. It was pretty insane, but we finally got out of the danger zone and I made it to the airport just fine. 

After that I got on my flight to London which was only an hour and a half or so. I think that Heathrow is the biggest airport I have ever been to that I can remember, I have never seen so many people EVER! After having to  deal with a grumpy customs officer (grumpy is an understatement, I would rather not talk about it!) and standing in line to go through security again, I made it onto my flight to Aberdeen! By the way, British Airways flight crew are so friendly and cheery! Maybe it’s the accents, but the pilots were so nice and delightful! Haha, ok moving on...

Stonehaven
 After quite a rough landing, I was in Aberdeen, and it was super windy! I got my bag and walked outside and I had just missed the bus that I needed to catch so I waited for the next one, watching the flags blowing straight out from the fierce wind. The rest of the evening was pretty uneventful. I rode the bus to my hostel, which is in this old four story stone building. It is actually pretty nice, the room has 3 bunk beds and then one twin bed, so seven people can sleep in here at once. It’s all girls in my room, I met two of them but didn’t talk to anyone really, everyone was keeping to themselves and some came in late. It was quiet though and everyone seems respectful. There is a kitchen downstairs and then a dining room and sitting room which I haven’t had the chance to check out yet. After I got settled in my bunk, I went outside and walked into the city. It’s about a 15-20 minute walk and it’s really nice, there are old stone buildings everywhere! I walked around, trying to decide where I should get something to eat until I saw a sign for ‘Fish and Chips’. Eating fish & chips in Scotland is something I had been looking forward to since before I left Norway. So I got a big old slice of deep fried haddock and chips (fries) and it did not disappoint. With that, I was able to toddle off back to the hostel and do some reading and writing before I did a face plant into my pillow.
War Memorial

Dunnotar Castle
 This morning, after packing my backpack and donning my raincoat, I found myself at a Starbucks! Free Wifi and chai for breakfast! I hung out there for a while and then walked down to the train station. I had read previously (and seen from the airplane window) about Dunnotar Castle outside of Stonehaven and since it was only a 15 minute train ride, I decided to go for it, plus I could practice using the train since that will be my main mode of travel throughout Scotland. So I got a return ticket for £6 and waited for the next train to Stonehaven. Sure enough, a short train ride later and I had arrived in the little coastal town. The town center was about a mile from the station and from there I could find the footpath that lead to the castle. Similar to Aberdeen, Stonehaven is made up of a lot of old stone houses and buildings, built really close together. I love little towns like this! It had a little steam running through it with cute bridges going across. The coastline was just as lovely, with large cliffs and bright green grass, rocky beaches and rough waters. I might want to mention that it was super windy today, just like it was yesterday when I arrived, mixed with intermittent rain and sunshine. I felt like I was going to blow away walking along the 2.5 mile-long path to the castle! But once I got there, it had all been worth it. The view was absolutely phenomenal. I couldn’t believe I was standing before such an ancient structure that had withstood battering from man and sea and weather for thousands of years  (I think the castle was built in the 1100s-1200s). Unfortunately the castle was closed today so I couldn’t go inside, but that was okay. I spent as much time as I could out in the harsh wind, walking around, snapping photos and trying to take it all in.
Path to the castle



 I had delicious soup and a sandwich at a cute waterfront cafe after wandering back into Stonehaven, then I wandered some more before getting back on the train. I had a map with me that I got at the castle so I had an idea of where I was going, but I did end up getting turned around a couple times. I arrived back in Aberdeen close to 4pm and I didn’t want to head back yet, so I did even more wandering around the downtown area. I went into some shopping malls, I got some snacks at a little grocery store, and I saw more cool sights. Aberdeen is a really nice city and I really enjoyed my short time here, so far Scotland is wonderful! Tomorrow I will depart by train for Dunkeld, where I hope to walk through the Hermitage! Thanks to everyone who is reading, I know this is a long one. :)

William Wallace statue in Aberdeen

1 comment:

  1. Incredible, Ing! I am amazed at the beauty and ancient feel of Scotland! Wow! I love that you wrote such a long piece this timing, remarking about all your adventures! Your photos are fantastic. That castle looks amazing. I want to go!! So proud of you for lighting out for the territory ahead!

    ReplyDelete